The spinal cord is an important part of the skeletal system. Any negligence to take care of it can attract severe consequences. Some of the common conditions experienced by a patient is a herniated disc. One sure to identify it is through an MRI scan. Availing of the scan from an entity that provides x ray in Hackettstown, NJ confirms the condition. Do you want to know the symptoms of herniated discs? If yes, here is a list of indications to help you identify the condition.
- Leg or Arm pain
- Tingling or numbness
Leg or Arm pain: People with a herniated disc experience pain in the lower back. The pain can also spread to the thigh, calf, and buttocks. Some patients may feel pain in their feet as well. If there is a herniated disc in the neck, pain in the arm and shoulder can be experienced. Sometimes simple changes in positions or coughing or sneezing can trigger pain in the patient’s arm or leg.
Tingling or numbness: Nerves connected to the herniated disc can be negatively affected and which is why people can complain of radiating tingling or numbness in certain parts of their bodies.
Weakness: The ability of a person to hold or lift items can be influenced due to the weakness created by affected nerves.
What are the risk factors for a herniated disc?
- Weight: Being overweight can cause stress on the disc located in the lower back.
- Occupation: Individuals who handle physical tasks in a factory or company like pulling, lifting, bending sideways, pushing, and twisting are susceptible to developing a herniated disc.
- Genetics: It is quite possible for people to inherit the condition from blood relatives.
- Smoking: Smoking leads to decreased oxygen supply to the discs. This means the possibility for the disc to break increases over the period.
- Frequent driving: Driving motor vehicles can expose the drivers to vibrations due to the engine which can have an adverse impact on the disc in the long run.
From the above, it is evident that the presence of a herniated disc can be identified with the help of the above symptoms. Risk factors have to be considered before jumping to a conclusion of the same in addition to availing an MRI scan from a diagnostic center that offers x ray in Hackettstown, NJ.